Ski areas cover the Catalan the Pyrenees ( Pirenèus, Pirineus, Pyrénées) and southern Massif Central. There are 12 resorts at an altitude of 1200-2600m offering more than 200 downhill runs and 150 ski lifts. The Pyrenees region offers the 'Neiges Catalanes' ski-pass: a single priced ticket which allows you to ski across 10 resorts.
For sports activities such as skiing (and potholing and mountaineering), travel insurance must include mountain rescue services and helicopter costs. You should be aware of the risks involved in the more hazardous sports activities. You should also be aware of weather forecasts and conditions, be well equipped, not undertake the activity alone, study the itinerary and inform someone of their plans. Off-piste skiers should follow the advice given by local authorities and guides; to ignore such advice could put yourselves and other mountain users in danger. Information on snow and avalanche risks is available, in French, on the following website: http://www.anena.org
The following are downhill ski resorts in or near the Languedoc: Les Angles, Porté-Puymorens, Puy Valador, Prat-Peyrot, Font Romeu, Odeillo, Bolqueres, Pyrenees 2000, Ax-Bonascre, Mijanès, Ascou-Pailhères, Les Monts-d'Olmes, Goulier Neige, Le Puigmal 2600, and Camre d'aze.
- Les Angles 29 pistes, 19 ski lifts, (+114km cross-country tracks). For the depth of snow and the number of pistes and ski lifts open visit: http://www.les-angles.com/index.php?id=220
- Porté-Puymorens 17 pistes, 13 skilifts, (+25km cross-country tracks). For the depth of snow and the number of pistes and ski lifts open visit: www.porte-puymorens.net/bulletin.htm
- Puyvalador. For the depth of snow and the number of pistes and ski lifts open visit: http://www.puyvalador.com
- Prat-Peyrot For the depth of snow and the number of pistes and ski lifts open visit: http://www.causses-aigoual-cevennes.org/
- Font Romeu, Odeillo, Bolqueres, Pyrenees 2000. 40 pistes, 33 skilifts, (+80 Km cross-country tracks). For the depth of snow and the number of pistes and ski lifts open visit: http://www.pyrenees2000.com/
- Ax-Bonascre. Near Ax-les-Thermes. el: 05 61 64 36 36. www.vallees-ax.com, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Alt. 1400 m - 2400 m. 70 km of piste. 11 red, 2 black pistes. One of the largest Pyrenean sites. Three ski-stations. shops, snowshoe hire, forest skiing. Snow guaranteed ?. Other activities such as hang-gliding on skis.
- Mijanès. Near Axat. Tel:04 68 20 40 44. Alt. 1530-2000 m. 9 km of piste, 9 pistes, including 2 red and 1 black. A family friendly station with a creche.
- Ascou-Pailhères. Near Axat. Tel 05 61 64 28 86, 05 61 64 21 23. Alt. 1500-2000 m. 20 km of piste. 15 pistes including 6 red and 2 black. Suitable for downhill lovers but also beginners.
- Les Monts-d'Olmes. Near Lavelanet. Tel:05 61 01 10 41. Alt. 1400-2000 m. 18.5 km of piste. 20 pistes including 9 red and 2 black. Family friendly.
- Goulier Neige. Near Foix. 05 61 64 88 99. Alt. 1500-2000 m. 6 km of piste. Tiny ski station. 6 pistes. Weekend skiing and horse riding.
- Le Puigmal 2600, Cerdagne, 19 pistes, 9 skilifts, (+30km cross-country tracks)
- Camre d'Aze, Eyne, 26 pistes, 17 skilifts (+nature reserve).
For details of cross country skiing (ski de fond, randonées or langlauf), click: here,
To link to a site offering skiingholidays click on the following link to France à la carte - incoming travel organiser