- Limoux Carnaval - From January until March. Not
really a carnaval, but a very ancient spring festival. Its
real (Occitan) name is Fecos.
Click here to read an article on the Limoux Carnaval
Click here for this year's Carnival programme
Click here for photographs of the 2008 Carnival
Click here for photographs of the 2007 Carnival
Click here for photographs of the Carnival from earlier years
Click here for more about the main Limoux Carnival page
Click here to go to the main Limoux page
Click here for more on Blanquette de Limoux
and Cremant de Limoux
- Toques et Clochers: Wine festival held in a different village near Limoux in the Aude département each year. It takes place the weekend after the end of the Limoux Fecos and the before Easter each year.
Click here for more on the Toques et Clochers at Limoux
- Limoux. storytelling Festival.
- Printemps du Jazz Nîmes.
- Montsegur. 16 March. Anniversary of the burning of over 200 Cathars Parfaits at Montségur. A popular date to visit the chateau - for some a sort of pilgrimage.
MARCH or APRIL
- Toques et Clochers: Wine festival held in a different Aude village each year
- "Palhasses" of Cornonterral (Hérault) one of the most popular events in Occitania. Palhasses (clowns) are masked and hooded men, clothed in old sacks padded with straw. On Ash Wednesday they take possession of the village; all access routes are blocked, and roads are strewn with the must of the last harvest. Here the Clowns contrast with the "Whites" so called due to their immaculate costume. Each White captured by the Clowns is covered with smelly must from head to foot, without any distinction between male or female.